QPF is Australia’s foremost festival for the poetic arts. Each year we bring a huge and diverse array of poetry in all its forms to audiences all over Queensland. We are currently seeking expressions of interest (EOIs) from emerging and established poets and writers working in any form or genre, as well as performers, musicians, cross-disciplinary artists, academics and more, to feature in the 2019 Festival Program.
Expressions of interest for QPF 2019 have now closed. Thank you to all those who submitted; our program advisors are busily reading and reviewing. You will receive an email advising you of the outcome of your EOI in March.
QPF will be held in late August 2019
Closing date: 5pm Friday 11 January
Notification: 15 March
Before you submit your EOI:
Please read the thematic statement below and ensure your EOI responds to this in some way. You can interpret the thematic statement as creatively or as literally as you wish. We also recommend you read our tips for submitting your EOI.
In 2019, the Queensland Poetry Festival will explore what it really means to listen: to take heed, pay attention, tune in, listen up. We believe that listening well is the basis of effective community consultation, successful inclusion, good legislation, meaningful reform and powerful art. It follows that when things go horribly wrong, it can often be traced back to a moment or a lifetime of listening poorly.
Poetry itself is a profound act of listening. Poetry has a unique ability to observe the world closely and quietly in order to find precisely the right words for truths we have always felt but never articulated.
We will be interpreting this theme creatively and literally (yes – plans for a listening party are already underway!) and we encourage you to do the same before you submit your expression of interest. Think outside the box. Surprise us!
Tips for submitting your EOI
- Read all instructions carefully.
- Character limits have been imposed to ensure ideas are refined and event descriptions are concise and consistent. If you run out of room please edit your answers accordingly.
- If you are planning to propose a workshop, panel, talk, presentation, installation or any other original event idea, please ensure the idea is as complete and detailed as possible before you submit (it makes it easier for us to picture your event in the festival if it is already fully formed in your mind!).
- Your EOI is unlikely to be competitive if you are unable to link your work to the theme.
- If you are bursting with event ideas, we recommend you submit a separate EOI for each event.
- It is not compulsory to attach support material but your EOI is more likely to be successful if you do.